HOW TO WRITE A MOVIE REVIEW GUIDE
Film industry is a fast-growing niche that attracts more and more attention and improves its influence on society. According to specialists’ prognosis in the nearest decade population of cinema movies will only grow bringing around two times more income to the industry.
Writing a film review that is good enough to influence reader’s mind and to prove your point of view – may be an important skill. Writing this type of review is also a proper way to exercise your creativity, attention and critical thinking. Modern teachers often encourage their students for creating some winning film reviews.
If this task looks too difficult for you or you simply have no time or desire to complete it – you can easily connect professional writing service like 1CustomPapers and ask experienced writers to supply a ready work for you. However, if you are interested in completing the assignment on your own – be ready to learn some simple, yet working rules to make your film review worth A+ mark!
THREE EXPERT ADVISES TO PREPARE FOR WRITING A REVIEW
You have probably completed lots of writing assignment during your academic study. However, writing a film review may puzzle even an experienced student.
Film review is quite similar to a book review or essays dedicated to art and literature objects. Perhaps, it will be easier to start a film review after turning to your previous reviews and essays and borrowing some ideas from there. Expert also advice to check some professional reviews in newspapers, magazines or internet – this will give you a smart idea of how to start your review.
Do not write your review before setting a clear draft that will help you to keep most logical structure of your review and to remember using all interesting facts and data.
Great reviews start from compelling phrases and challenging questions. You may also begin your review using a joke, shocking fact, interesting statistics or unusual saying of a film character. Use anything to grab and to keep attention of your reader in the beginning of your review.
There are some fresh ideas for excellent film reviews:
- Compare a film to another cinematography work, piece of art, book or modern reality. It will be interesting to find points connected to another subject or situation.
- Concentrate on a single element of a film, e.g. certain character, actor’s play, music or plot.
- Use some background details. Speaking about a popular film seen by everyone may sound easier. However, it may be hard to find some details that would catch attention of your target audience. Try to go beyond typical topics and find some interesting details about film’s background or related information.
Try to switch you creativity on – the more uncommon and challenging your topic is – the more attention it wins!
6 COMPONENTS OF EXCITING FILM REVIEW
It’s always easier to write a great review having a detailed plan. We grouped three general and three secondary elements to help you to build an excellent plan for your review writing. Please, do not take all the elements as a must – the information below is an example, that can be changed according to requirements of your teacher or educational guidelines.
3 General Components
- Title is first element of your work seen by a reader. Title indicates the topic and attracts attention. It is necessary to make your title informative, understandable and appealing. Sometimes, you can make it sound bald, challenging or hooking to intrigue your reader. It is important to use full, recognizable name of the movie to make your readers understand what you are going to speak about.
- Short overview is necessary to make your readers understand if the film could be interesting for them. Be ready that some of your readers have not seen film yet, that is why avoid using spoilers. Try to concentrate on film’s evaluation and some interesting details that do not reveal the plot itself. It is also wise to include other people’s opinion in your review and to mention general rating of a film. If you are explaining why you like or dislike the film – use some objective details.
- Filmmaker details. Each creation reflects personality of its author. It is often interesting to reveal a little bit more about talented filmmakers. Thinking about this point, check a list below. It may inspire you for writing a great text:
– Personality of film director: controversial features, interesting biography facts that reveal unusual sides of a character.
– Desire of an author to shock and intrigue society.
– Political position of filmmaker reflected in a film.
– Interesting facts from early biography or personal data that may be related to further professional career of a filmmaker.
The more you work on basic components the more informative and creative your review is.
3 Secondary Components
- Film’s relation to another topic. Usually, films have certain historical or social prototype that can be easily indicated. Mention this in your review to make it more informative and uncommon.
- Describe work of creative team of a film. Think about role of creative elements that can be found in a film. Pay attention at:
– Costumes and make-up;
– Film’s decorations and visual environment;
– General tones and main colors of a film;
– Features and moods of main characters;
– Sound effects and music;
– Computer graphic and visual effects;
– Filming and camera work.
- Actors’ performance. Evaluate how well actors coped with their roles and showed their characters in a film. Be objective and fair.
There is no need to keep given order of presenting above-mentioned elements. It is only important to keep in mind that revealing of these details can make your review more interesting and exciting to read.
No matter if you choosing a film you like or the one that disappointed you – try to make your film review interesting and worth reading.